Claudine – The Claudine Novels by Colette
I believe there are more urgent and honorable occupations than the incomparable waste of time we call suffering.
Born in 1873, Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette was France’s most provocative and daring representative. Her personal relationships were as controversial and famous as her celebrated novels and short stories. Colette was given a state funeral upon her death in 1954.
For Book Clubs:
1. Though penned by Colette, Willy initially took credit for the Claudine novels. Can you find his influence in their pages?
2. Claudine’s indulgences begin at a young age. Find and discuss examples of physical and emotional indulgence in Claudine at School.
3. Colette was a famous cat lover. Discuss the role of Fanchette in the Claudine novels.
4. Does Claudine love or hate authority? Discuss the role of dominance and authority in Claudine’s relationships.
5. Are the Claudine novels scandalous today? Discuss whether literary scandal can withstand the test of time.